Saturday, October 8, 2022

No Fault Manufacturing

The wheels were falling off of our top dishwasher rack, and no amount of macgyvering could make them stay on more than one or two cycles. I did some research, and it quickly became apparent that this was a common problem with this model of dishwasher. Indeed, it was a similar situation with our last model that led to its replacement: then the parts to fix the problem were not available, and a new upper rack cost more than we paid for the whole machine. 

But this time, the part was readily available, or rather a redesigned version approved by the manufacturer was easy to obtain, although every supplier made it clear that installation directions were not included. I was a bit daunted by all this, but upon continuing my research I found a YouTube video that made the job seem very doable. With that, I ordered the part. 

And everything was going smoothly this morning when I unloaded the dishwasher, removed the clips and pulled out the rack to begin my repair, until I noticed the extra piece that was not mentioned in the video. Frowning, I disassembled my work, and tapped on the comments. Most were quite positive, but several mentioned a couple of missing steps, and one provided the link to a companion video that helped me finish the job. 

There was one comment that has stuck with me, though. Let me get this straight. They make a defective part, and then they charge to replace it with a "better" version, but don't provide directions, so you have to pay somebody else to do it? Why wasn't it a recall? 

No comments:

Post a Comment