Sunday, October 2, 2022

Time and Again

Some friends of ours attended a formal, evening wedding last night, and shared some pictures over social media, he in a tux and she in a full-length, fishtail style gown with a flirty ruffle at the hem. Her hair was pulled back into a chignon, and his was combed back. 

"They look like they're from the 20s!" I said when Heidi showed me the picture. Then I laughed, because they are from the 20s, just not the 1920s that I was thinking of.

I thought then that the more memories I accumulate as I age, the more curious time and its passage seem. One week ago I was at the Elton John show, three years ago my mom was admitted to the hospital for what would be the last time, and seventeen years ago we were sitting at our dining room table celebrating Emily's birthday a day early. The boys were 10 and 13, Vic and Judy were there, and just as we sat down to eat the phone rang. It was Jordan, with the happy news that Richard Oliver had been born. We all cheered and drank a toast to the newest member of our family.

A lot has changed since then, but not celebrating Richard. Happy Birthday to him!

No comments:

Post a Comment