Monday, February 10, 2020

That's Not Funny, Alexa

In an effort to add novelty to our class routine, the commercial of the day today was not an advertisement at all, but rather a Saturday Night Live parody commercial. The choice offered the opportunity to talk a little about "parody" an upper level language arts term. The faux product was Amazon Echo Silver, an edition of the smart speaker with Alexa made especially for seniors. The Echo Silver had such features as answering to any name even remotely close to Alexa, being able to find misplaced objects, and a special uh-huh mode to respond to long-winded stories.

I thought the piece was funny, and I enjoyed it all five times I watched it, but the kids were not quite as amused as I. Perhaps it was a combination of don't get it and get it but don't care that accounted for their lukewarm reception, but there were few giggles and grins from anyone under 25.

The response in my last class of the day was the same as the other four, except that after the parody discussion, as I was giving directions for the remainder of our time, there was a distinct uh-huh every time I paused.

At least they were paying attention!

No comments:

Post a Comment