Sunday, February 23, 2020

Haute Meal

After Heidi's surgery the recommended diet was low fat and high fiber. Plus, she was concerned about keeping her weight down in the weeks of inactivity, and so we settled on oatmeal for breakfast. The cereal we had in the pantry was a can of steel-cut oats from Scotland, and after a couple hearty, filling, and delicious morning meals under 200 calories, I was hooked.

The next oats we bought were organic from Whole Foods and then, in a pinch, we purchased a discount brand. It was oatmeal for goodness sakes! What could it possibly matter? Perhaps it was the snob in me (or as I prefer to think, my refined palate), but those breakfast bowls seemed somewhat lacking. Less nutty? A little more gummy? Starchy rather than toothsome?

Wondering if it was my imagination was driving me nuts, so yesterday I resolved to figure it out. On our weekend grocery run we bought Irish steel-cut and one of America's top brands, too. This morning I prepared all three identically and presented them to Heidi in numbered ramekins so that we could do a taste test.

Of course, I knew which was which, and so I must acknowledge my bias, but Heidi did not. Her preference? Irish one, Bob's two, and Target? Number three. But were the differences enough to cover the price points-- twice and three times as much for the preferred brand? For both of us, it was a NO. And so in good conscience, we can put oatmeal on the regular grocery list.

What a relief!

(Apologies to my brother for two posts in a row with puns!)

No comments:

Post a Comment