Sunday, March 18, 2018

Old Book, New Book

When we were teenagers my brother, sister, and I devoured popular epic novels at an amazing rate. Plot driven and securely anchored in place and time, those books taught us a lot about the world. James Michener was a favorite, and long before any of us settled in Virginia, we knew all about the history and ecology of the Chesapeake Bay, particularly its Eastern Shore, because we had read his book, Chesapeake. To this day, I can't look at a great blue heron without thinking of the nickname fishing long legs.

Even so, and as much time as I've spent on and around the actual Chesapeake Bay in the last 35 years, I have never thought to revisit the book. Set aside the 865 pages(!), when it comes to stories, I'm a forward-looking reader, and I like to be surprised. But there was something about the heron I saw yesterday on my walk around a little local lake that prompted me to download the book last night.

I needn't have worried. As Billy Collins says in his poem Forgetfulness

The name of the author is the first to go
followed obediently by the title, the plot,
the heartbreaking conclusion, the entire novel 
which suddenly becomes one you never heard of

as if, one by one, the memories you used to harbor
decided to retire to the southern hemisphere of the brain,
to a little fishing village where there are no phones. 

It wasn't quite that bad~~ I remembered Michener and fishing long legs~~ but the rest seems new to me!

5 comments:

  1. It is interesting how certain specific details never leave us, but others do.
    I like the way you found a poem that almost matches your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This wonderful post really resonates w/ me. I'm also a forward looking reader and don't like to reread anything, although I must for teaching. I'm currently teaching "The Things They Carried," and thought I know the book when I started rereading, but I've made so many discoveries this time around. And I love that Billy Collins poem. I mentioned it yesterday on someone's post. I need to read more Michener.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never seen that particular Billy Collins poem, but it so brilliantly sums up the process of re-reading something you have not visited in a long time. My dad always wants me to read Michener (particularly the one about Hawaii, which seems to be one of his favorites), but I always get daunted by the length, which is silly. Maybe I will go and check out one of those long books now, inspired by your post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Books make life so good. I love it when a phrase sticks with me. Glad the reading is fresh for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That poem is so true! It's amazing how many things we forget about what we've read before. Rereading can definitely be worthwhile. ;-) ~JudyK

    ReplyDelete