Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Community Outreach

I crossed paths with a bundled-up woman being pulled along by a perky black and white dog on my way out of school this afternoon.

"Ms. S!" she hailed me. "I'm Connor's mom!"

I peered a little more closely at the rosy face beneath the crochet beret. "Hello!" I greeted her warmly. "This must be Piper!" I continued, leaning down and patting the dog.

"Yes!" she answered, "but how do you know? We just got her Sunday."

"Oh, Connor wrote all about it for the writing challenge," I explained. "It was a pretty exciting event."

She beamed. "I'm so happy he's doing that," she told me, "and he told me he really likes it so far."

It was my turn to smile. "Thanks for letting me know!" Just then the puppy gave an energetic yank on the leash. "Enjoy your walk!" I waved. "Nice to meet you, Piper!"

3 comments:

  1. Yay! How exciting to get positive feedback about the Writing Challenge! - and you met a new dog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes I run into my students or their parents at the dog park. Funny, but it’s nice to put faces to names. Names of their dogs, that is. How nice that you met Piper.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so nice when we get to hear positive feedback that we can use right away! It's also nice to build those bridges between school and home.

    ReplyDelete