Sunday, March 6, 2011

Men in Hats

We saw the movie The Adjustment Bureau this weekend. Based on a Phillip K. Dick story and starring Matt Damon and Emily Blunt, it's a romantic meditation on free will and fate. After reading Matt Damon's recent comments on education, ("the idea that we're testing kids and we're tying teachers salaries to how kids are performing on tests, that kind of mechanized thinking has nothing to do with higher order. We're training them, not teaching them") I was more than willing to suspend my disbelief; plus that Emily Blunt is as cute as Abby Cadabby.

My review? Thought-provoking concept, fair execution, and good chemistry between Blunt and Damon, but I left the theater wondering why there are no women in the adjustment bureau.

(Click here for today's sample of my 6th grade students' response to the 2011 SOLSC challenge.)

6 comments:

  1. Huh--now I want to see this movie! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just adore Matt Damon....what a smart man. Sounds like a great movie...thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember having that thought after watching "Wings of Desire" - why were there only male angels wandering around Berlin...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Matt Damon, too and now even more so after I discovered his stance on education. He and Ben Afleck (sp?) appear in a documentary that Zinn made a while back. I like what he said recently about education.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As cute as Abby Cadabby, huh? Now that's saying something.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Who is this Abby Cadabby? I need to see how cute she is...

    ReplyDelete