Saturday, March 5, 2011

Angry Birds

It's surprisingly easy to see crows in the dark, especially when hundreds of them are roosting at the tops of all the trees in the neighborhood. The lightlessness of their shadows brightens the night sky. In the morning, on the off-chance that you missed their raucous departure, the evidence of their stay is also unmistakable, the sidewalks and roads are all poop spatter and feathers.

Some might find them menacing or at least a nuisance, but I love those few nights every winter when the crows choose our trees to be their beds. The spectacle is completely worth the mess, big black birds teem against purple sky, their colonies forming and re-forming, each crow looking for the perfect branch on which to rest the night. These birds are not angry in the least, probably because no one is bothering them, much less sling-shotting them at  round green pigs barricaded in forts of timber, glass, and stone.

I had heard of the smart phone game app sensation Angry Birds, but I never considered trying it until one of my students posted about it on her slice of life the other day. I was intrigued and I downloaded it this morning... um, addictive. I have a lot of other things to do than fling those birds, but today not many of them seemed more important. At least there are no poop and feathers.

(Click here for a sample of my 6th grade students' response to the 2011 SOLSC challenge.)

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad someone likes those crows. We put out seed during the snow and unfortunately the crows discovered our feeder. Clapping seemed to work to send them off. As to Angry Birds, yes, they are addictive and frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched a documentary on crows last month - fascinating. I'm not always a fan of their noise when I'm camping but I do find them interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My two grandchildren (one a four-year-old boy and the other an eight-year-old girl) are addicted to Angry Birds, the video game. We didn't sell back our old iPhones, so we them charged up and ready for them to play. I have the music memorized.

    As far as crows--one other slicer was writing about them--can't remember who. When we were DC on sabbatical, some bird virus wiped them all out in our area. I loved coming home and being able to hear other songbirds. We now chase them out of our yard, but I know it's probably a failed cause even now.

    Elizabeth E.

    ReplyDelete