Monday, March 14, 2011

The Forest for the Trees

I was groggy this morning as I made my mercifully short commute to school. There was a tiny bit of frost on the windshield and a chill in the air, and I knew I was a few minutes later than I wanted to be, so I wasn't prepared at all when the huge white pick-up truck in front of me came to a dead stop. I stomped on my brake pedal with everything I had and prayed the rear view mirror was clear. There couldn't have been more than inch between my bumper and his when I lurched to a stop, but his gesture did not communicate relief as he continued on his way.

Everything that had been on my backseat was now on the floor, and my twenty-ounce hotjo of coffee was buried in the avalanche. The next turn was onto a residential street, and I impatiently pulled to the curb. Cussing, I opened the rear door and picked up my gym bag and book bag, repacked my entire lunch, and looked around for my coffee. After a moment, I saw that the cup had been thrown into the well beneath the driver's seat where it now lay on its side completely drained. My fists clenched.

I was livid for the remaining two minutes it took to get to school, and my disposition didn't improve when I saw that the kids were already entering the building when I got there. Not only would there be no caffeine for me this morning, but the car was probably going to smell like coffee forever, and I was going to have to scramble to get my copies made before class. I roughly grabbed my things and stomped toward the entrance, but as I went around the front of my car, I paused. It was undamaged and so was I.

From across the parking lot, one of my students called to me and waved, and I smiled and waved back.

(Click here for today's sample of my 6th grade students' response to the 2011 SOLSC challenge.)

3 comments:

  1. Wow! I'm glad it wasn't worse!

    I like the simplicity of your conclusion- it underscores the idea of keeping the right perspective. It contrasts nicely with the strong emotions building just prior to the conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, I'm glad to hear that you are safe and sound. Second, I've had the same thing happen. Your heart is pounding until you smell the coffee. A good detailing should take care of the future mold and smell. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a scary experience...your writing made me feel right there with you, stomach muscles clenched, and heart in my mouth. Glad you're ok.

    ReplyDelete