Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My Next Job

I heard today that there are people paid to post negative or positive comments about products, people, and ideas on all sorts of blogs. Apparently these people create hundreds of fake identities to simulate (and stimulate) public opinion. I don't know why I was surprised; I guess I haven't reached that level of cynicism yet, but I don't really doubt it's true.

Recently, I have been posting close to a hundred comments a day, too, but all under my real identity. Between my students' slice of life posts, the adults taking the online Early Adolescent Development course I'm facilitating, and the good folks who are participating in the annual challenge over at Two Writing Teachers, I'm logging a lot of screen time.

One of the challenges of composing so many comments is to remain positive and centered on the writer. Especially with less advanced writers, it's so easy to focus on what needs fixing and to overlook what is good, and I have seen the discouragement on their faces when I lead with even the most constructive of criticisms. Katherine Bomer has a wonderful book called Hidden Gems: Naming and Teaching From the Brilliance in Every Student's Writing, which I return to again and again.

Contrary to what you might expect, with adults, it can be even harder to stay positive, especially if they express an idea that I happen to disagree with. For example, yesterday, in an online discussion, one of the participants posted the following:

Some students may never graduate to abstract thinking. Often, the expected tasks and activities have more to do with the skills to succeed: proper behavior, pleasant personality, following directions, time on-task, etc. are the REAL goals and the activities are merely a vehicle to reach the "skills" necessary to succeed.

A pleasant, respectful individual merits better care/attention than one that does not show these skills.


And although I wanted to ask where "pleasant personality" could be found in our state's standards of learning, instead I replied:  But is it our mandate as educators to develop pleasant and respectful individuals?

And the answer was: It is our mandate as teachers to turn out "productive" members of society.

I let it go. I suppose the validity of that response depends on how we define productive, and I lay much of the blame on the way the current conversation on education is being framed-- it's too focused on the language of commerce. Personally, I believe there is more to education than turning out cogs for our nation's economy. Abstract thinking in the form of creativity, critical or even divergent thinking, and healthy skepticism are qualities that I feel a productive citizen should have in any democracy.

And I'll post that a hundred times if I have to.

(Click here for today's sample of my 6th grade students' response to the 2011 SOLSC challenge.)

1 comment:

  1. Agreed - this is an incredibly powerful post, Tracey. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete