Sunday, March 20, 2011

Showing a Visitor Around Town

A week ago the door bell rang and I opened it to a delivery person with an unexpected package. Hand addressed to me personally and postmarked the Netherlands with a return address I did not recognize, I paused to consider the eight inch cube. I racked my brains for forgotten internet purchases, but nothing presented itself.

I took a deep breath and grabbed a pair of scissors, surprised by my hesitation, but in this day and age, caution is prudent. Inside, swathed in bubble wrap and a zip lock was a beanie baby named Goldie. She was part of a social studies project from a second grade class in Phoenix, Arizona. On more careful examination, I saw that she had been sent on her way by my sister's 7-year-old niece. "Oops! I forgot to tell you," my sister said, "but we thought since you're a teacher..."

Today we took Goldie out on the town with our 15-year-old nephews, Josh and Treat. They were not quite as careful as I would have liked-- Goldie flew through the air and even hit the dusty crushed gravel of the National Mall more than once, and a guard did have to scold her in the sculpture garden for touching the art work-- but determined to show her a few out-of-the-way sights, we found some things we probably would have passed by without a second look.

A good example was the rustic wooden bench hewn from a sugar maple from the campus of Cornell University. It stood in a tiny sustainability garden on the mall side of the USDA. Both vegetable patch and bench were part of The People's Garden project, something I had never heard of, but which turns out to be a very cool initiative.

Thanks Goldie!



(Click here for today's sample of my 6th grade students' response to the 2011 SOLSC challenge.)

2 comments:

  1. Ah, you make me homesick for DC. Love Goldie being tossed in the air--as only boys can do. I also loved seeing all the different buildings and cubbyholes of buildings in DC--as only the natives can do.

    Will Goldie get to take in the cherry blossoms this year on the Tidal Basin?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goldie will be on her way by the time the cherry blossoms peak, but she did get to see a few early bloomers and some pink magnolia in the gardens outside the Smithsonian castle, that lucky dog!

    ReplyDelete