Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Preparing for the Harvest

Last summer we canned 40 quarts of tomatoes; after dinner tonight there were only 4 left. I have a stack of seed catalogs and gardening guides next to my chair in the living room. Lately, I like to throw a log or two on the fire and then take my time paging through them, visualizing our community garden plot in its July glory. We live in a townhouse-style condo with no basement, garage, or even shed, but we do have a mostly unused guest bathroom with some killer fluorescent light, and it's there that I've gathered my organic potting materials, ready to start the seeds for this year's crop.

As a teacher, I appreciate cycles of growth, but as a non-gardener until recently, I'm learning to treasure this connection between life and land, and the extra seasonal rhythm that it offers to my busy year.


(Here's the link for today's post on my 6th grade students' Slice of Life blog:)

http://thewhwnblog.blogspot.com/2011/03/aquarium.html

2 comments:

  1. You ALMOST made me want to start some seeds. Being a teacher, I've always found gardening interfered with my busiest times of year, spring and fall...sowing and harvesting...which are just the opposite of the teaching year, now that I think of it. Maybe it always felt backwards to me, and I'm just realizing it. I'm retiring this year though. Maybe just a few pots...maybe it will readjust MY seasonal rhythm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomatoes out of the garden are definately the best! I'm afraid I don't have the incentive/desire to start plants from seed.

    ReplyDelete