Thursday, April 4, 2024

Being and Raininess

I always forget how much I love the poetry unit every year. Kids have such a fresh and quirky take on the world, and poetry is just concentrated enough to showcase their creativity and fresh perspective. Even a form as brief as haiku can be stunning or hilarious or both. 

The rain yesterday inspired many of the young poets in my class, among them this writer:

It rains heavily.
The children are not playing.
I don't like the rain.

I laughed out loud when I read it. "That's so existentialist of you," I told her, "to recognize the absence of the children!" I knew she was one of the few 12-year-olds around who would understand my point.

She brightened at the comment. "I do like considering existence," she confirmed, "but I was kind of thinking of The Cat and the Hat when I wrote that!"

No comments:

Post a Comment