Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Of Carrots and Sticks

I heard recently of some teachers so frustrated by their charges that when the guidelines for participating in a special event were issued stating that any student with three or more referrals would be excluded they sat down and referred the most troublesome kids three times. 

As veteran teachers, we sigh at such folly: those students have nothing to lose and we have 2 months left in the school year. "They have to at least give them a chance to earn it back," one of my colleagues commented today.

"And a little support to do that," another added.

"Right! It's all stick and no carrot," someone else concluded.

I agreed. It wasn't until I realized that the stick should be a lever rather than a lash that I (pardon the pun) got a real handle on classroom management.

No comments:

Post a Comment