Friday, April 12, 2024

Circles

My classroom phone rang and reaching for the receiver I saw on the display that it was the principal. As I answered, I felt more curious than anything else, especially since she's called me perhaps twice in the 11 years we've worked together. 

"I'm looking at your intent to return form," she told me.

"and I wrote that I'm not sure," I finished for her.

"Right," she agreed. "I was hoping you might be a little more sure now?"

I took a sharp breath. The conversation was unexpected, and I felt put on the spot. "Um," I hedged.

"There is paperwork we have to do if you're not," she continued, "and I'm really hoping we won't have to do that paperwork!" 

"I'll be back," I said. 

"I'm so glad," she replied.

"I guess I just needed a personal invitation," I laughed awkwardly.

But after we hung up, rather than feeling relieved that the question of next year was settled, I had that sense of remorse that comes with choosing too quickly.

And, since my verbal agreement is not binding, I'm right back to where I was before the call.

No comments:

Post a Comment