Monday, April 8, 2024

Turn Around Bright Eyes

I was almost 8 in March of 1970 when a total eclipse was set to obscure 95 percent of the sun over our home in South Jersey. The details are vague, but I remember they involved shoe boxes and pinholes, and stepping not even one foot outside. My parents closed the living room curtains, leaving a slight crack through which a ray of sun shone through the tiny hole in the viewing contraption they had rigged. I don't recall being particularly awed by the actual eclipse, but the precautions for it made a huge impression on me.

When I talked to my younger brother about it a couple of weeks ago, his recollection confirmed mine. "All I remember is being terrified of going blind," he said. "I thought even one little look would burn my eyes permanently!"

Times have changed. I was at the grocery store 7 years ago when an 80 percent eclipse passed overhead. Then, I looked at it in the reflection of the dark tinted windows of my car until a kindly stranger offered his eclipse glasses for a moment so I could see the bite the moon was taking from the sun.

And today, our school system distributed free eclipse glasses to all students and staff, and I was able to track the progress of our 87 percent obscuration during my planning time, from the comfort of my classroom. Then, at around 3:15, I stepped outside with some friends and colleagues and peered at the peak of the spectacle, the sun a glowing claw in the amber sky of my glasses.

Without the protective shades, the light was strangely dim and golden, the shadows oddly short given the gloam we stood in. It was magical, and I wished our family had ventured outside for just a moment or two all those 54 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment