Saturday, April 20, 2024

My Year of the Theater

Whenever the goddaughters are here, we try to find something special and fun to do. Over the years it's been a variety of activities: geocaching, petting zoos, and duck tours when they were little, shopping, movies, fun restaurants, donut crawls, and magic shows when they were a bit older, and recently it's been road trips and musicals. For this weekend, though, we were kind of stuck. Nothing seemed to be going on that might fit the bill.

But this morning, as I clicked around a bit, I decided to check the Kennedy Center and see if there was anything new or something I may have missed. That's when I found the listing for Message in a Bottle

The peaceful village of Bebko is alive with joyous celebrations. Suddenly, under attack, everything changes forever. Three siblings, Leto, Mati, and Tana, must embark on perilous journeys in order to survive. Message In A Bottle is a spectacular new dance-theater show from five-time Olivier Award nominee Kate Prince, inspired by and set to the iconic hits of Kennedy Center Honoree and 17-time Grammy® Award–winning artist Sting.

Dancing and Sting? I knew Heidi would love it, so I ran it by Laney, checked for tickets, and a couple of hours later we found ourselves seated in the opera house. As the lights went down, I was prepared to tolerate whatever was on the stage for the good of the group, and so as shadow dancers moved to soft strains of Fields of Gold, I crossed my arms and settled back. 

I was wrong though. The tale of family, war, and refugees told completely in dance and with new arrangements and recordings of the music was very moving. I was reminded that I know Sting's entire catalog and love it. I spent the show thinking of my own siblings and the time we spent listening to Sting and the Police, and I wished they were there to share the experience and their thoughts on the production.

As it was, we all loved the show, and I'm going to make it a point to see another one soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment