Friday, January 19, 2024

Right Track

Back in the late 90s nylon track pants were all the rage. Lightweight and waterproof, people wore them all the time either as an over-layer or just as workout pants. The zipper pockets and cuffs were definitely a plus, and between the two of us Heidi and I owned four or five pairs. 

By accident, we realized how they could easily double as snow pants, a garment that neither of us owned. Oversized in that 90s way, track pants could be pulled on over leggings or even sweatpants, and the nylon offered protection from both wind and water so we wore them in bigger storms to shovel out our cars, or go sledding with the boys, or walk the dog.

In fact, it was on an early morning walk with our first dog Isabel that I had the notion to slide down the big hill by our house. Having no sled, I figured the track pants would do, and I was right. That nylon cut the friction to a fraction, transforming the hill into a huge sliding board. After that, Isabel and I gleefully swooshed our way home every time we had the chance.

It's been a while since those days, but when we woke to the quiet beauty of tiny flakes blanketing our world this morning I asked Heidi if we still had those track pants. Turns out they were stowed away in the same little drawer they've always been in, just waiting for a day like today. So I pulled my favorite pair over my warm and comfy sweats and headed out with Lucy into the muffled morning.

And you can bet we took that hill in all its pristine glory, all the way from the top to the parking lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment