Monday, January 29, 2024

No Favors

Since Heidi started teaching social skills around ten years ago, we always say that it's the adults in our school who could really use the curriculum. Why narrow it down, though? Our subsequent awareness of social interactions has become a comical lens on so many everyday interactions.

Take today for example. Since it was a grade prep day, we were working at home. Our dog walker came by as usual to pick up Lucy, but since we were her, she stayed to chat a while. "What's the bread for?" she asked, nodding her chin at the pair of sourdough boules cooling on a rack. 

"Oh, I bake bread almost every week," I told her. "It's easier to make extra than to scale down the recipe, and it doesn't cost much, so I give away a couple of loaves weekly."

She nodded and looked down at her phone.

"Those are spoken for," I continued, "but if you have any interest, I can hook you up next week."

"Huh?" she said.

"The bread," I gestured. "Would you like some next week?"

"If you're baking it," she shrugged, "I guess I could take some."

"I'll let you know," I said.

No comments:

Post a Comment