Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Dig if You Will

"What can I do for candy?" asked a visiting seventh grader after school today. "Can I show you something amazing?"

He cupped his hands together and whistled a low tone. 

"That's pretty good," I agreed. "What kind of bird calls it supposed to be?"

He shrugged. "Owl? Dove, maybe."

"Let's see how close you are," I suggested, pulling out my phone to open my bird ID app. I tapped record and he warbled away. No bird identified, the app informed us.

He tried again, varying his pitch. 

"Maybe you should listen to some calls and try to imitate them," I suggested.

For the next five minutes, he cooed and quacked and cheeped and peeped his heart out, but he could not fool the microphone. 

"Here you go," I laughed, handing him a Jolly Rancher. 

"But I didn't match it," he sighed.

"You didn't have to," I told him. "Your attempt was entertaining enough."

No comments:

Post a Comment