Wednesday, January 24, 2024

Fair Rap

Students were working quietly when I decided to try my hand at composing a Titanic rap using the required vocabulary (accommodations, ambitious, evacuate, luxurious, plague, sound, tragedy) and the knowledge of the ship we had gained over the last few sessions. I had already offered kids the opportunity to put on a beat and share their work, if they wanted to, and it seemed like having a model might be helpful.

I was pretty pleased with what I composed, so I decided to risk sounding like an old white lady posing and step up to the figurative mic. (Click here for a version of what my classes heard.

And I was gratified at how much the kids appreciated my effort. But what was most cool was how many students went right to work, eager to share their own compositions. 

Two guys even made an album cover for their single. "Don't worry," they told me. "We'll sign you to our label!"



1 comment: