Monday, January 22, 2024

Titans of Rhyme

"What rhymes with luxurious?" a student asked me today. She was working on an assignment about the Titanic where students were asked to write a rap using some key vocabulary words. 

"Curious? Furious? Penurious?" I suggested. "That last word means 'cheap,' by the way," I explained.

"The ship was luxurious, but with the lifeboats they were penurious," she tried.

"That's pretty good!" I laughed.

"I can't find anything for plague, though" she sighed.

"The vocabulary word doesn't have to be at the end of the line," I told her. "You could say something like, 'No problems plagued the amazing ship..." I paused for a moment to think. 

"Until the hole the iceberg ripped!" she finished, nodding. "What about ambitious?" she prompted.

"The plans for the ship were ambitious," I began, "but now she sleeps with the fishes."

She gasped and the kids around her who had been listening to our conversation, did, too.

"I'm going to use that!" said one.

"No! I am!" said another.

"Nobody can," I shrugged. "It's my line. Come up with your own."

A little while later the bell rang, and as she was packing up to go a student caught my eye. "You should stick with that rapping," she advised me. "You never know what might come of it."

No comments:

Post a Comment