Monday, January 8, 2024

Change is Funny that Way

One of my students had a schedule change from one section of my English to another. Based on the personalities and work habits of the kids in his new class, I am confident it will be a good move for him. Even so, I could see he was a bit nervous when he came in this morning. 

I had changed all the seats, so everybody was distracted finding their new table when suddenly I heard someone say, "Wait! Are you in this class now?"

There was a silence and I saw the usually gregarious student blush a little as many turned their attention toward him. 

"Or were you always in here?" the other kid asked in confusion. 

The new guy and I made eye contact and exchanged an eye roll.

"Yes," I said to the class. "He's always been in here. I don't know what you're talking about!" I finished with exaggerated confusion.

"Really?" responded some.

"No!" others cried.

"Oh yes!" I insisted, as I stood by the student whose schedule had changed, the two of us laughing. 

Soon everyone was in on the joke, and the group settled down, ready to get to work with their new classmate.

No comments:

Post a Comment