Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Draining

Do something you don't really feel like doing, just because you can! encouraged the calendar square. 

I was sitting next to the sixth-grade girl I am mentoring this year down in the cafeteria after school. The monthly theme for our group of female teachers and students was self-care, and our activities included DIY spa treatments and a New Year's resolution bingo card. For inspiration, the organizers had provided a January Happiness calendar, and it was that day's advice I was reading.

"That sounds like a good idea," I said to her. 

She snorted.

"I don't feel like going to the gym," I confessed, "but now maybe I will. How about you?"

"No-uh!" she answered definitively. "Why would I do something I don't want to?"

"It's a good habit to make yourself do stuff you know you should," I explained. "Are you going to do it?"

"Nope," she said.

I sighed and looked at my watch. Me neither, I thought.


No comments:

Post a Comment