Thursday, January 19, 2023

Virtual Fail

As a follow up to my snow day prediction question the other day, the warm-up today was to make an argument for or against virtual learning on snow days. 

Oh my! I could have predicted that the students would be unanimously in favor of keeping snow days, but I wasn't really prepared for how violently they are opposed to virtual learning. 

Student after student told tales of shutting off the camera and walking away, and watching TV or playing games during class. They described kicking their teachers off the call and randomly muting their classmates. Worst of all, they are convinced that they didn't learn nearly enough in the time that they were away from the school building. "I'd rather go to school in July than learn virtually," one student announced passionately, and there were nods of agreement.

"It was just a boring waste of time," another added.

"You could always turn your camera on and do your best to participate and learn," I suggested.

"No way!" replied the first student. "We're kids!"

No comments:

Post a Comment