Wednesday, January 18, 2023

AI for the Win

Today was the day when I got to see what that recalcitrant student thought about the story I had ChatboxGPT write for him. The experience did not disappoint.

I handed it to him casually while the other students were busy gathering evidence to support their previously written claims about the characters they had chosen last week. When I checked in with him a little while later he told me he had not yet read it. "What have you been doing all this time?" I asked.

"I've been previewing it," he informed me.

"Oh," I nodded, "to make sure there's nothing you don't like in there. I don't think there is, is there?"

"No," he admitted. "I'm going to read it now."

"What did you think?" I asked when I saw him shift in his seat and lift his head.

He looked at his feet; I could tell he was a bit conflicted. 

"Did that kid do the right thing?"

As much as he dislikes me and my class, he couldn't resist talking about the ethics of the story. He had some questions, and he began to annotate the text. When he left at the end of class, he put the story in his binder.

"Good work today!" I told him on his way out of the room. "I think you made some progress on the essay."

He shrugged and walked wordlessly out the door.

But he did like that story. 

(Interested? You can read it here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment