Tuesday, January 24, 2023

Fresh Eyes

Years ago, when I first started teaching I would often take advantage of our free access to the gym and workout equipment that is part of the rec center connected to our school. Back then, my friend Wes and I would do the stairmaster, lift weights, and then play a little pick up basketball with some of our students who might be hanging around after school. It was fun, and I was in great shape.

But times change: Wes moved away to teach overseas, first in Iceland and the in England, where he is today, married with three kids and still teaching in a DOD school. My afternoons got busier as I took on more responsibility as a team leader and a basketball coach. I joined a "real" gym where I had to drive to work out, and I did so, sporadically. COVID hit, and I didn't go to the gym for a couple of years, then every time I went back it was somehow unsatisfying. Then my gym was sold to another company, and that might be the last straw in our relationship.

Before I quit sending my money to that gym, though, I wanted another option. This year, my nephew started working at our school, and often after the last bell he goes down to work out in the rec center. Last week, I invited myself along, and today was the day when I brought my gym clothes and headed down for my first workout there in at least 20 years. 

What fun I had! The pickleball court was open so we volleyed for a while, then there was a home basketball game I could watch from the treadmill. We each did a couple of weight circuits and we met again by the bosu ball and pilates drum which we spotted each other on. I had a pretty good workout, and we are going to go again soon. 

Coincidentally, Treat is just a little younger than I and a little older Wes was all those years ago. I'm glad that he reminded me what a great perc we have right downstairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment