Saturday, January 7, 2023

Left Over

We had chicken and white gravy, mashed potatoes, biscuits, and green beans for dinner last night. It would have been my dad's 88th birthday, and it was his favorite, so we ate it in honor of him. 

The recipe calls for a whole chicken, so although the two of us ate our fill, there were plenty of leftovers. Usually, I love eating the extras from any meal, especially such a comforting one, for lunch, and I'm happy to have the same thing for several days. But for some reason today I just didn't want the potatoes, even though Heidi thought I was nuts: "Those are the best part!" she reminded me.

Instead, I cooked some bucatini and tossed it some chicken and gravy, a healthy splash of pasta water, some blanched greens, a little shaved romano, and a spoonful of chili crunch. My lunch had the soul of the original dish, but it was completely different. I loved it! And I kind of believed my dad would have like it, too, if only we could have gotten him to try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment