Wednesday, March 23, 2022

Wacky Wednesday

I've been digging deep and scraping the bottom of the barrel to find fun and engaging bonus challenges that are also quick. Today was "Wacky Wednesday," and the challenge for those who posted their writing was to go to a linked list and pick one of the activities to do during class. 

  1. Wink at the person next to you. Make sure they see you. Then give them the chin nod. 
  2. Raise your hand, and when the teacher calls on you say, “I always thought broccoli was tiny little trees.”
  3. Sing everything you say for 5 minutes. 
  4.  Draw a picture of a monkey and hold it up to yourself. Ask someone if they see the resemblance. 
  5. When storytime is over, tell the people at your table that you cried when you found out Pluto was not a planet. Explain why you were so emotional. 
  6. Pretend to be a robot for at least 5 minutes. 
  7. Start swatting at an imaginary fly. Ask, “Does anyone else see that thing? It’s humongous!” 
  8. Have a conversation with your pencil. Pretend it is talking back to you. 
  9. Finish everything you say with “Hold the pickles!” for at least 5 minutes. 
  10. Raise your hand and when you are called on, say, “Yeeee Haw! Giddyup!” then gallop around your table and neigh like a horse. 
  11. Be silent and act like a mime trapped in a box for 2 minutes. 
  12. Talk in an English accent for at least 5 minutes. 
  13. Stand up and pretend that you’re snowboarding. 
  14. Whenever anyone talks to you, tip your imaginary hat and say, “Top ‘o the mornin to ya!” 
  15. Ask the person next to you, “Are you okay?” at least 6 times, but not right in row. 
  16. When the bell rings for dismissal, do the chicken dance.

The rules were strict-- it couldn't be while I was teaching, and they couldn't explain why or what they were doing. What followed was a hilarious day-- it's been a while since I laughed so much in school. It was especially funny at the beginning of each class when many of the students had no idea what was happening.

At first, some of the kids were hesitant about the concept, even though the challenge is always optional and voluntary. In fact a couple of students wrote about the challenge before they even got to class.

"I just read the list of wacky acts and I’m not doing any of them. I dan’t care about the prize. I don’t want to do any of those things. Ever. So I have nothing else to say."

"Today’s challenge sounds super fun. The only problem is that I feel like it would cause too many extra distractions. I think a lot of people are going to be be disrupting the class and trying to explain why they’re doing it. Anyway, despite distractions, I hope this will be fun."

I understood their reservations, but I've spent all year building classroom community, and I made sure it felt safe for anyone who wanted to take a risk and do something wacky.

I'm happy to report that student #1 had a very earnest conversation with her pencil, laughing the whole time, and student #2 really under estimated my classroom management. Everything was a little looser than usual, but nothing I couldn't put back together, and kids who hadn't written hurried to get theirs done, and their classmates who needed to move got the opportunity. 

At the end of the day, all the instruction was delivered, all the assignments were complete, and everyone walked out of the room in a pretty good mood, hold the pickles.

3 comments:

  1. Never underestimate the classroom management skills that come with 28 plus years of experience! Sounds like tons of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am laughing outloud - I cannot even imagine the antics. What a great description of the fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you are still taking risks, and usually succeeding too!

    ReplyDelete