Tuesday, March 15, 2022

First Day on the New Feet?

I was on the ground before I realized I was falling. 

Landing on my left elbow and knee, I rolled over onto my back and sat up. "I'm okay!" I said, without really knowing if it were true. It was only then I saw the runner and biker who had stopped to help, looking on with concern. 

"Really?" asked the biker doubtfully.

"Really," I assured him.

Heidi and Lucy had been a few paces ahead of me, but they were back by my side now, freeing the good Samaritans from any further obligation.

"What happened?" Heidi asked.

I had been walking purposefully along into mile 3 of a 5 1/2 mile jaunt on the W&OD trail. Crossing a bridge, I pulled my sunglasses off and dug in my pocket for my phone to snap a photo. Evidently that was a couple of tasks too many, because my right foot slipped off the side of the asphalt trail, and I rolled my ankle. 

Now, still sitting on the ground, I could feel my ankle begin to throb and probably swell. I reached for my Ray-Ban Wayfarers, but they had been snapped in half at the bridge of the nose in my fall.

It was then, when I knew that I was okay, but I saw the damage to my shades, that I considered how bad such a fall might have been. My elbow, my knee, my ankle-- any of them could have been broken instead of bruised. 

As it was, I made the decision to walk it off, knowing that there were lots of family and friends who would have come to my aid in a matter of minute. Instead I headed home, breathing through the ache and taking the next 2 1/2 miles one step at a time.

6 comments:

  1. So glad you are ok! I have taken a spill like yours walking the dogs -- it is a shock to the system. In fact, I suffered more from the shock than the twist to my ankle. Hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a tough fall but I have no doubt you'll heal quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! Glad it wasn't as bad as it could've been. I was nervous your phone fell off the bridge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I'm okay!" I said, without really knowing if it were true--this is such a natural reaction, isn't it? Great trade to break your sunglasses rather than your body.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ouch! The worst is when those young whipper-snappers show a little too much concern. Seriously, I'm glad you are okay.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sad for your sunglasses, but lucky for you. Was the photo you wanted to snap worth the slip?

    ReplyDelete