Wednesday, March 30, 2022

3 Ds and All Ears

I lost my patience with a sixth grader today. 

That may sound routine, but for those of us who have committed our careers to the tweens and early teens, patience, along with empathy and a sense of humor, is one of our sharpest tools. I could tell you my side of the story-- give you evidence that she was unquestionably disruptive, disrespectful, and defiant, and I could use the testimony of my colleagues to support my observations. I could also describe how productive the class was in her absence, once they recovered from witnessing our interaction. 

All of those things would support my claim that I was justified in my response, but I know I wasn't. 

And when I spoke to her after class did she initially deny knowing what she had done wrong? Yep. Was she eventually backed into admitting her mistakes by my teacher logic? Yep again. But when, frustrated and angry, she told me that I never listen to her side of the story, I had to admit to myself that she probably had a point.

I like to think that I give a lot of grace to my students, even more so now, considering what I assume these kids have been through in the last 2 years, but maybe it's time to stop making assumptions, and start listening.


1 comment:

  1. I definitely understand how patience can run thin these days. Your reflective slice really highlights the type of teacher I admire and want to be. Don’t forget to afford yourself a little grace.

    ReplyDelete