Tuesday, March 22, 2022

Moving the Needle

The other day I was chatting with a colleague who moved from 6th grade to 8th grade this year. She was telling me about preparing her students for their recent standardized writing test. "They told me they had never been taught how to write an essay," she sighed. 

I laughed, because "We never learned this!" is a common refrain in classrooms everywhere.

My co-worker laughed, too. "I told them that I knew that was wrong, because I had literally taught them that myself 2 years ago."

I thought of our conversation yesterday, when my homeroom students were taking yet another survey about their social-emotional learning.

"What does this question even mean?" a students asked.

I walked over to help. How confident are you that you will remember what you learned in your current classes, next year? I read out loud. "It means, how sure are you that you're going to remember what you learned in sixth grade when you get to seventh grade."

"Oh," he scoffed. "Nothing. I won't remember anything."

"Really?" I tilted my head. "Are you sure?"

"100 percent," he said. "I never remember anything I learn, ever."

"Didn't you tell me last week that you learned about setting when you were in 3rd grade?" I asked. "And so you knew the answers to the questions in class."

"Oh, yeah," he shrugged.

"What about math?" another student asked. "You know a lot more math than you did in elementary school."

"Of course I do," he said.

"Don't you think that's because you remember what you learned?" I prompted.

"Maybe," he admitted, and moved his tick mark from Not at all confident to Slightly confident.

3 comments:

  1. Oh man! You capture this smacking-my-head feeling that all of us have experienced when faced with the "rational" arguments of a teenager! I like how your post moves from the big picture through to this one interaction to highlight the struggle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This cracks me up. We've been inundated with surveys lately. Good to know just how valid the data will be.

    ReplyDelete