Tuesday, March 8, 2022

On the Scent

Someone had an accident at the dog sitter's today, and that was a big topic of conversation when we picked up Lucy. I appreciate the information: perhaps it was Lucy who has a bad belly; maybe one of the other dogs has something we should look out for. But it was a rather drawn out conversation, more than might be considered polite, considering the topic. 

"Too bad the dogs can't talk," I said lightly. "They probably know who it was."

"They definitely do," she replied. "If they didn't see it, they can smell it." 

I thought about that on the walk home. What would it be like to have such an enhanced sense? I wondered. And why are there no super heroes who can smell really, really well? As far as I could remember? It was really just vampires and werewolves that could do the scent thing.

Just then, a man passed us on the sidewalk walking in the opposite direction. "Whoa!" I said to Heidi. "That guy was drenched in Patchouli!"

"I smelled it, too," she agreed.

And for the next few blocks, as we traced his steps in reverse, I continued to get a whiff of cologne here and there. He was here! my brain told me every few yards, until at last we turned a corner and the scent was gone. 

4 comments:

  1. It’s funny how scent works like that. My former boss wore a very strong cologne that entered the room before he did. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this piece! I am such a scent person myself. My husband knows that if he wears a specific scent, I am drawn. Thanks for this entertaining slice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You and Lucy--imagine the conversations you two could have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m grateful our sense of smell is nowhere near as keen as a dog’s. I fear the pleasant things we would be able to smell would be outweighed by the less than desirable.

    ReplyDelete