Tuesday, March 29, 2022

A Snow Covered Hill

I've always loved the song Landslide for its simple truth:

Time makes you bolder.
Even children get older,
and I'm getting older, too.

But time is a little warpy when you teach the same grade for nearly 30 years. The kids stay the same age, and it kind of feels like you do, too. 

Oh, sure, the kids you know (and love) personally grow older, and there are always those former students who you run into out in the community, at least the ones you can recognize despite how much they've changed. Those experiences help adjust the rearview a little.

Even so, I'm at a stage in my personal life where the children are older, but not to the point where they have children of their own, so it's been a while since someone handed me a 3-week old baby. But yesterday? That changed when we went over to visit neighbors and meet their new daughter, Olivia. Oh, I could have held her for hours-- watching her stretch and yawn and blink, smelling that soft powder and sour milk, rocking her, and patting her soft diapered bottom. 

Yep, still miraculous.

3 comments:

  1. I too visited a newborn yesterday- The sweetness of every sound they make and the stretches are oh so precious. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I could go back in time to do this again with my babies, I would. Miraculous and fleeting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a dumpling. Yes, miraculous.

    ReplyDelete