Wednesday, January 19, 2022

And Fun for All

"You know what I want to know?" I asked my homeroom the other day. We were watching the morning announcements, or "my favorite show" as I like to call it, and one of our ASL interpreters was standing behind the student announcements as usual. "I want to know how to do the Pledge of Allegiance in sign language!" 

They looked at me with a mix of amusement, interest, and skepticism. 

"We can do it!" I said. "I'll find a video!" And I did.

Over the years, I've mastered all sorts of random things that were of interest to my students. For example I learned the names of the Spice Girls, all the members of the Back Street Boys, and the words to Eminem's "Lose Yourself". One year, I bought juggling balls and we all tried to learn to juggle, and another year we sang "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" accompanied by a student on the violin and me on the ukulele. 

The pledge is a little complicated for this old brain of mine, but that's okay. We are going phrase by phrase, and so far we've reached ...to the United States of America." It's slow-going, but we've got time, and learning together is really fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment