Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Roadblocks

This morning I decided to use my third snow day in a row as one of the required five floating professional development days built into this year's school calendar, and I was feeling pretty productive plowing through items on my recertification list when I hit a bit of a jam. 

It's a state mandate that all teachers certify in first aid, CPR, and AED as part of license renewal process. Our district makes it as convenient as possible, offering an online course for the first part and several in-person options for the hands-on portion, but it was the online course that slowed my roll; I just didn't want to see or hear about graphic injuries, even in the service of helping those who might get them. When I got to Bleeding and Wounds it was time to take a break, and so I went to the grocery store. 

With the exception of random piles of slushy ice here and there, the roads were fine, and it was with a renewed sense of purpose that I entered the store to accomplish the next item on my to-do list. I was reviewing my list as I wheeled my cart into the produce section, when looking up I skidded to a halt and gasped. The shelves were almost empty! At the butcher counter, it was the same situation. Don't get me wrong; although I left the store without several items on my list, we want for nothing. Without oranges and arugula, green beans, squash, and avocados, there is more than enough food on our shelves and in our fridge to last a good, long time. 

The storm-impacted roads, added to the already fragile supply chain, and the binge-shopping people always do when snow is forecast, had left the grocery store more depleted than I have seen since, well, 2020. 

No comments:

Post a Comment