Monday, January 17, 2022

Due Time

The world is a little darker this evening. I mean that literally: I spent some of my holiday Monday taking down our lights from the last holidays, packing them neatly in bins, and stowing them in the attic until December. I really liked our lights this year; after the amazing displays of 2020, I decided to up my game a bit in 2021. I did some research on small home lighting arrangements, looked at pictures, and scoped out the neighborhood, and shopped online to create some new light arrangements. Shimmering stars, classic multicolor C9s, rainfall lights, and 50-bulb twinkling globes merrily festooned our tiny decks and front porch.

"Is there a rule about how long you should leave your Christmas decorations up?" Heidi asked me the other night as we were walking over to pick up Lucy. Lots of lights were still cheerfully glittering in the twilight. 

"You mean like no white after Labor Day?" I asked in return. "Maybe everything should be put away by MLK Day?"

We laughed. "That seems like a good rule," Heidi said.

"But I like our lights," I reminded her. "I don't want to put them away."

"I know," she agreed, "but if you leave them up all year, they won't be special."

She was right of course, but I'm still kind of sad tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment