Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Nowtimes

As I cooked this evening, I listened the latest reports of the demonstration that had devolved into a mob and stormed the Capitol. The measured voices of the reporters and the emotional voices of those they interviewed on the scene were interrupted several times by the shrill alert of the emergency broadcast system. It was not a test; the governor had ordered a curfew for our county beginning at 6 PM. It would be a misdemeanor to leave my house until 6 tomorrow morning. 

Fortunately, I had no plans of doing so. It's my dad's birthday today, and even though he's been gone since 1987, we still honor him each year by preparing his favorite meal of chicken with white gravy and biscuits. This year I threw in an apple crisp galette, too, because I knew he would have liked it. It's a comforting menu, and I have confidence that even on this, his 86th birthday, he would have relished it. 

But what he would have thought of the rest of the world? 

I have no idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment