Saturday, January 30, 2021

There's a Mouse in the House (Part 1)

 Our cat, Tibby, leapt to the top of the TV stand and pounced over to the mantle. "Don't you do it!" I warned her, for she has a history of jumping to places she shouldn't be and knocking stuff around. But there was something in her alert posture and intent gaze that suggested she had more in her sights than mayhem. Did I bring a bug in with the firewood? I guessed, and leaned over to peer at the underside of the mantle. Seeing nothing at first, my attention was drawn to a flick of a movement to my right. Something long and thin hung from the wrought iron bracket supporting the mantle. Is it a lizard? I thought, but then I saw the creature clearly-- it was a fat little field mouse! When it was clear that I saw it, the mouse dove back behind the TV, and that is where it still is. We have been telling both Tibby and Milo that this is the moment they were born for! But so far? They seem unconvinced.

No comments:

Post a Comment