Wednesday, January 13, 2021

Just Ask

We recently updated our FireTV to a newer model with a few more features. Despite being aware of the privacy issues, I have found it fun and entertaining to command the device to turn on, turn off, turn up, and turn down the TV as well as to request specific programs.

This morning I was working with my students as they make the final push toward writing and revising their argument essays. "Alexa?" I asked a student in my assertive teacher voice, "Please share your outline with me."

Even as the human Alexa was complying with my request, a voice from the living room replied, "I'm sorry, I don't know how to do that." 

I laughed to myself as I was looking over Alexa's writing.

"Alexa!" I said. "This looks great! Nice work!"

"Thank you," my student and my FireTV replied in unison.

No comments:

Post a Comment