Tuesday, October 13, 2020

Never the Same Unit Twice

 "Why didn't we ever do that?" many returning students have asked when our conversation turns to what the current kids are working on.

Sometimes I shrug and shake my head and say, "You did!" and they laugh because they don't remember. But other times? I defend myself by explaining that even teachers, no especially teachers, have to keep learning and improving. Then it's their turn to shrug, but nod their heads.

Even so, I've noticed that the most profound improvements often come not from the splashy new activities, but rather from the most subtle changes. Today I reframed some of the writing prompts we use to help our young writers come up with a topic for their food memoirs by simply adding the phrase a story about a time when...

I had a bunch of story starters and we spun a virtual wheel to pick a couple to brainstorm (okay the wheel was a little flashy, especially the fanfare and confetti). The ideas that the studenta came up with were wonderful. In response to a story about a time when you cooked or got food for someone else, we heard stories about cooking a traditional nepalese dish to surprise one girl's parents, a boy making dinner for his mother and grandfather because he knew they would be tired after work, and another young man waking early to make breakfast for his extended family as they slept, getting overwhelmed, and then rescued by his dad when he got up.

The mark of a promising topic I told them, is the emotion you felt and the change in you at the end. "What did you learn from your experience?" I asked each.

"To keep trying, even if you think it's not good enough," answered the first student. 

"Sometimes you have to be responsible and help out," said the second.

"Teamwork really helps!" replied the third.

I think they got it.

No comments:

Post a Comment