Monday, October 26, 2020

Gourd Heavening

I've had my eye on one of the little pumpkins that came from my garden. It is tall and slender and more of a golden orange than that traditional Halloween hue. When it was first growing, I thought perhaps it was a spaghetti squash, but I concluded otherwise. From the time it burgeons, a tiny fruit on the vine, spaghetti squash is the palest of lemon yellows, but this other fruit had the dark, mottled green of an immature pumpkin. 

And so a pumpkin it was!

Until today, when attention and opportunity collided: looking at that little orange gourd I wondered if there was such a thing as a squash hybrid, and I had the time to look it up. A bit of research revealed that pumpkins and spaghetti squash are crazy cross-pollinators. Plant two vines in a garden, and who knows what you'll get! Spumpkin? Pumghetti? 

I'm looking forward to cooking my hybrid squash in the near future, and if it's any good? I'm saving the seeds! A little squash surprise will only add to the the fun of the garden next summer.

1 comment: