Sunday, August 2, 2020

Yesterday Once More

I like to think I have a pretty good memory; that's why it was so appalling today as we listened to the AT40 countdown from July 28, 1973 that I kind of knew the songs, but not really. "What the heck was I doing that summer?!" I asked Heidi in exasperation. But of course she had no idea-- we would not meet for another 25 years. "Obviously not listening to the radio, for some weird reason," I concluded.

It wasn't until the countdown reached number 2 that it all became clear to me. As the Carpenters sang Yesterday Once More, I remembered that for my birthday in June that year I got a cassette tape player and recorder, and I spent the summer listening to the one tape I also received, The Carpenters Greatest Hits.

I also recalled that when we went to California to visit our friends, I made everyone listen to my tape. Those kids were Callie cool, and let's just say that the Carpenters were not on their playlist, but after a few days there, I got the confidence to play my music. It went over fine, but later that night, when our parents tuned into the summer replacement variety show hosted by, who else? The Carpenters! There were groans all around.

"Why did we have to listen to that tape?" one of the kids moaned as Karen and Richard crooned, We've only just begun... "Once a day is enough!"

2 comments:

  1. But you must have known Bad, Bad Leroy Brown.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Carpenters make me think of the dentist's office. They tend to be a little behind the times at the old dentist office, so it must have been the late 70's when I remember hearing them, but I'm sure they were super cool in 1973.

    ReplyDelete