Tuesday, August 4, 2020

The I of the Hurricane

According to the Capital Weather Gang, In the history of hurricane names, ‘I’ stands for infamous.

Their argument is that by the ninth named storm of the season, things get cranking in the Atlantic, and so conditions are right for some powerful hurricanes. Of the 84 storm names retired, 10 of them have begun with I, more than any other letter.

Anecdotally? I can support that claim. For me, that ninth storm of the season has had great impact over the years:

In September 2003, Hurricane Isabel closed school for a couple of days. Many in our community were without power, but our lights were on, and we used the windfall of time to find a puppy. Isabel was a great dog.

In late August 2011, we battened down the hatches for the impending destruction of Hurricane Irene, but that storm was a bust, neither class was canceled nor puppies adopted. Was I disappointed? Perhaps, but it made a good blog topic.

Today, in 2020, Hurricane Isaias came ashore in North Carolina and stormed up the East Coast. Here at home we had some rain and wind, but no flooding or other damage. Up in New Jersey though, half a million are without power, and 2 nice ladies and a dog got their vacation rained out.

Sure, there have been other memorable storms in my life. I vaguely recall Camille and Agnes from when I was little; I rode out Gloria with my dad and sister in Virginia Beach in '85; my ex went to Puerto Rico for a month after Hugo in '89, and of course Katrina and Superstorm Sandy made big news.

But when it comes to me? It's all about I.

1 comment: