Thursday, August 6, 2020

Cynosure

I had another frustrating customer service experience today, and I was really tempted to use this space to vent a little, but I was very mindful that I did that yesterday, and I try to avoid too much griping, because, well, it's boring. So, as I sat at the keyboard watching my cursor blink and still steaming about my mobile phone company, I took a deep breath and considered my day, looking for that bit of glory in all its banality.

And it occurred to me that I had a perfectly delightful customer service experience while shopping this afternoon. As Heidi and I scoped out the long, long check out lines, we spotted a young man standing at a register nearby. The light was not on, but since we were tenth in line for self check, I made eye contact and asked if he were open. He politely informed me that he was not, and continued with his task. A moment later, though, he scanned the lines and called us over, opening his register for us and several others after.

It was a small, unnecessary kindness, but I appreciated it in the moment. I would have totally forgotten the gesture, too, if I hadn't been looking for an antidote to the toxic interaction I had recently concluded.

So often it's easier to fixate on what nettles us than what soothes us; I'm glad I had a chance to refocus today.

1 comment:

  1. So, he is the cynosure in this story, no? I just learned a new word!

    ReplyDelete