Friday, January 11, 2019

Don't Stop There

My students were taking a standardized reading test when one of them raised his hand and waved furiously. For valid results, they were supposed to read the short passages and answer the related vocabulary questions completely independently.

I walked over to him. "What is it?" I whispered.

He gestured at the screen; glancing over, I didn't see a problem.

"I'm not allowed to help you," I reminded him.

His eyes widened, and mindful of the directions to keep a quiet testing environment, he wordlessly stabbed his finger at the passage, then ran it back and forth along the screen, pantomiming a desperate need for assistance.

I looked more closely at the passage. Ask your teacher for guidance... it began. I looked at the student. He smirked in self-satisfaction; after all, he was only following the directions.

I shook my head and laughed.

...in selecting possible research paper topics, it continued. Afterall, this may be your first attempt at writing a research paper. It helps to bounce ideas around with an expert... 

"Keep reading," I advised him.

No comments:

Post a Comment