Wednesday, January 23, 2019

A Civilized Hour

"Wouldn't it be nice if we went to work at this time every day?" Heidi asked rhetorically as I shuttled her to school a little before 9 yesterday morning. Our district had called a 2 hour delay because of the extreme cold. I was off anyway for my annual physical, but since I was up I offered to give her a ride. "The sun is shining," she noted. "I feel rested," she continued, "ready for the day."

I thought of that conversation this morning as we dragged ourselves out of bed at the usual 5:30 alarm. Heidi had been up most of the night coughing, and neither of us had gotten much sleep: another two hours would have been welcome.

"Heart conditions and sleep deprivation are correlated," my doctor told me yesterday. "Now that you're over 55..."

No comments:

Post a Comment