Thursday, January 31, 2019

Matrilineal

I called my mom in Minnesota yesterday to see how she was faring in the sub-zero temperatures brought in by the Polar Vortex. At 5 PM CST, it was -20 degrees, and Mom was just finishing up on a call from my sister and niece. "Annabelle's disappointed it's not -70," she laughed. "Even with the wind chill it's only -35."

"You're such a Minnesotan!" I marveled when she told me she had gone out the day before to get her nails done. "What did you wear?"

"Layers," she reported, "and my coat is really good. I pull the collar up around my ears."

"Wait!" I said. "You didn't wear a hat?"

"I can't! It messes up my hair," she told me.

I thought of my mom this morning when it was 9 degrees here, and I did put on a hat to take the dog out. As I stood all toasty and warm on the hill at the back of our complex, a neighbor drove by on her way to work. Pausing in the parking lot, she rolled down the window. "I know it must be cold if you're wearing hat!" she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment