Saturday, May 5, 2018

Pink

"Don't kick that lady!" A little girl of perhaps six, issued the warning to a toddler in the shopping cart ahead of us in the checkout lane at Target.

"Oh no! Please don't kick me!" I said to the cute little girl.

She smiled and babbled a reply.

"Is your favorite color yellow?" I asked her, noting the pale yellow t-shirt and flowered leggings she was wearing.

Her big sister took charge. "No! It's light pink."

I nodded. "What about you? What's your favorite color?"

"Dark pink," she answered firmly.

"Like this?" I pointed to a package of gum.

"Yes," she told me seriously.

"What about this?" I pointed to a slightly paler package.

"That's hers." She jerked her thumb over her shoulder.

"Thank goodness you don't both like the same color," I told her. "That could be confusing!"

No comments:

Post a Comment