Thursday, May 31, 2018

Otherwise Known As

"If you all post your writing before the end of the class we can do something fun," I offered to my intervention group of reluctant writers this morning.

"Like what? Play Fortnite?" asked one guy with a doubtful snicker.

"Maybe," I shrugged, "you can show me how to play."

As fingers flew across keyboards, I turned to the student doing her senior experience. "Another example of being a life-long learner," I laughed, "and of course, trying to engage students by meeting them where they are."

A few minutes later we were downloading the free version of the game on a laptop so that we could all see it on the interactive whiteboard. "You have to choose a user name," one of the boys advised me.

"How about English Master?" I suggested. "It's probably taken though."

The students exchanged doubtful glances. "Yah," said one, "I don't really think so."

Sure enough, my selection was available. "I can't believe it!" I marveled. "It's such an awesome name!"

"No kid would want that name!" a student laughed.

"Well they couldn't have it, anyway," I replied. "They would have to be English Minor!"

No comments:

Post a Comment